Thursday, December 4, 2008
Well, I am sitting here in my office, Bryan is gone and I am by myself crying at the computer because of what just happened with my son Gavyn. I just need to get the tears to stop falling so much and I can type this. Man I never wanted to have things happen to him and was glad that he hasn't had an episode from the diabetes but well he can't be perfect now can he?! The story goes like this.....I was in the kitchen making dinner and Gavyn was at the counter doing his homework. He came home from school with a massive headache and was told that he was crying all the way home on the bus. Now at the counter he was very pale and not looking like himself. He started asking some questions and then told me that he felt low. Well of course he grabbed his tester and it read 73. To those that don't know Gavyn's levels are supposed to be at 100-200 for a normal blood sugar, anything below is a low and we are supposed to bring him up or else he drops pretty fast. Well Gavyn just sat there and wouldn't do it and minutes went by and Bryan finally got home and saw that he wasn't doing too good at the counter and I told him the day that Gavyn had. I then told him that Gavyn was low and that he had juice in front of him to drink but hadn't started it yet. Bryan went by him and told him to drink it and the fight began. Something changed in Gavyn and he became very mean and not like himself. He fought Bryan on every suggestion he made for him to do to bring his levels up and time wasn't on our side. He became more defiant and more angry for every second that passed without the juice or glucose tablets in his system. The next step was force. This is something that you don't want to watch or have to go through with your child, to have to watch your husband physically force juice in your child's throat to only have him whale uncontrollably and then spit out half of what was in his mouth. The screaming was more than I could handle and I was starting to loose it. I found my way to the desk room and called my dad to get some encouraging words. He heard what was happening and reassured me that we were doing what was right and that we just needed to stay calm. I composed myself and went back in and found that he was really wet from all of the juice and really red faced from the fighting back. Tears were coming and I just put myself in the middle of them and got into Gavyn's face and told him to either take the juice or we were going to have to get the big red needle out and give it to him. I got him to calm down a little and he finally started to take the juice. When this was done we went to the couch and I just held him and rocked him to calm him down and to get him to catch his breath. We had to get Garrett down stairs and reassure him that all was okay and not the be afraid of what happened. (Easy for me to say as I was telling him this with tears rolling down my face.) After a good 10 minutes we were at the counter eating dinner and the kid was normal again asking for 2nds on dinner.
Now I sit here, after my friend Randi left and let me have a good melt down on her shoulder and think that I could have handled the situation better. I shouldn't have left the room but I didn't want him to see me crying. I guess we need to be glad that this really is the only thing to happen to us with Gavyn since he was diagnosed in February. I start to think to myself in my self pity of why does my son, my 7 year old precious little boy have to have such a horrible thing happen to him. He didn't ask for this, nor did I, but someone very wise just told me that he is a strong little boy and he has this because he Can handle it. Wow, to have a special spirit in my home as Gavyn to teach me many things in his short life is such a blessing to me. I just wish I could take it away and make him all better like a mom can do, but all I can do is hold his hand and tell him that I will help him with this and we will learn together. There, I am still crying as I sit here listening to him fight with his sister upstairs and I am thankful that Heavenly Father gave this stubborn, hard headed, sweet little boy to us. Thanks to all that have helped us through this and Thanks for letting me have a little cry.
Gavyn's in our prayers and so are his partents. We love you!
JoLynn
I wish I had seen this a few days ago. It seems like the greatest joy and the worst pain we will ever feel in life comes from being parents. Bless you and Bryan for doing what you need to do and sticking to it. It's so hard but we are fighting for our kids' lives and we have to do what we have to do!
Some of the things I had to do to help Richard learn to battle his OCD felt downright mean. I had to make him face the thing that was scaring him and he had to actually say that it WAS going to happen. We then had to chart his anxiety and observe as it went down all on its' own without him doing the compulsive behavior that would have alleviated the stress right away. It was horrible and we all cried a great deal. But through those exercises he learned that he can do it on is own and doesn't need the repetetive behaviors to help him.
Gavyn will learn to be pro-active through experiences like this one and it will be better next time. We'll pray for you all!