Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Need Help!!!

I need help from anyone who is willing to give me advise. We have been struggling with our son Garrett for a while now and I am at my whits end. He has issues with authority. He doesn't respect his teacher at school (there have been problems with her from the beginning of the year, thank heaven the school year is almost over) and he has issues with us as parents. He yells at us and lies to us. We are very calm when talking to him and he still gets frustrated and yells and turns into another kid. He lies to our face even when we know the truth he will still lie to us. I am willing to try anything. It seems like we have tried everything and the only thing we can say to each other is we don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to give up on my son. he can be really sweet but this lying and yelling thing is getting the better of me. He doesn't care if he gets grounded and you take things away so there isn't much else to do. I really need to figure this out!

8 Comments:

  1. Natalee said...
    Lindsey I posted a comment on your facebook, but I thought I would here too.

    I am a fan of Dr. Laura. Please give her a try. You might like what she has to say. She has a book called "Ten Stupid Things Parents do to Mess up Their Kids."

    Or just look at her website. http://www.drlaura.com

    Good luck with everything!!
    Marianne said...
    Sweet Lyndsey!
    I wish I had the magic answer but everyone is so different. I have reached the "I don't know what to do anymore" place twice in my parenting. Once was when Britt was between two & five. I had gone through a year or two of her being very stubborn and rebellious. Then Diana was born and that made it worse. Nothing worked. If I sat her in a corner she would lean just far enough out so as to not be in the corner anymore. (Defiant! That's another word to use!) She did everything she could to bother her big sister. If we spanked her, she hit back! Sarah was so easy to discipline and reason with. I prayed and prayed and finally the words came into my head, "Take her by the hand & show her the way...". I knew then that with this particular child I would have to show her the way, show her the reasons why her behavior was not right or appropriate rather than just telling her she was wrong & punishing her. She could care less about the latter. I spent a lot of time talking to her, learning her mind and how she saw things. That turned into cuddling and just enjoying being together.
    The second time was recently with Richard's OCD. He was not being a discipline problem but it was a trial that Dee and I just didn't know where to go with. He was literally paralyzed physically and emotionally. PRAYER! Prayer was the way I got through it. I had many an answer come to me during the day when I was just doing my routine housework or sitting and thinking. One step and one day at a time we helped him and ourselves get through the initial shock, fear, and agony of his difficulties. We had to let a lot of other tings go. Merit badges were not important, neither was trying to do whatever the Young Men were doing like Read the Book of Mormon in 100 Days...or whatever it was. We cut out the extra and focused on home and getting through each day.

    So, every child is different but one thing that will really help is to make him the focus of intense prayer and thought. You will get answers. They will guide you step by step. I think you were on to something awhile back when you blogged about how you thought Garrett might feel lost between Gavyn's diabetes and Ella's just being Ella (!). Just spending more one on one time with him might be a big help, both in him feeling important and in you and Bryan getting a better feel for what he needs. Next time he yells or mouths off maybe one of you could just take him for a ride. Go sit in the shade at a park and talk, try to dig up what is really behind the anger. Let him know how much you love him always and maybe his heart will begin to change.

    My heart is with you! I'll remember you all in my prayers! Love to you and Bryan!

    P.S. I like Dr. Laura's advice a lot too! Try her out!
    Anonymous said...
    Hi Lyndsey, I'm sorry you're struggling with parenthood, I know that it is so challenging and hard, not to mention frustrating BUT it also is so rewarding and joyful when problems are solved, so hang in there. I'm really not a good one to give advice, since I don't know Garrett's personality but I do want to share something with you and maybe it will help in some way. Do you remember when we visited AZ in December and the night we all went out to dinner? I was sitting down by Jerry and Nancy and Garrett came down to talk to his grandparents (which, by the way, was so sweet). He stood a long time and talked to Jerry and it brought tears to my eyes (I tried not to let anyone see me crying). Jerry was so darling to Garrett and he really had his attention. Sometimes a person not directly connected to the situation can work miracles. Maybe Garrett should spend some time out with the horses and doing some hard work and talking to Jerry about life and important things, maybe this would make him feel special, plus the influence of the animals can sometimes reach places that humans can't. I think you are probably blessed with some valuable resources in your family and taking advantage of them isn't a bad thing. One last thought...children really do go through "phases" and most times things that we desperately worried about, just go away. I hope your current concerns about Garrett will fade away and that you'll all have a happy and memorable summer.
    Ellsworth Party of Four said...
    Lyndz,
    I agree with mom...reading that brought tears to my eyes. I bet both Jerry and Garrett would benefit and LOVE spending time together! Just look at Jolynn...I know she spend most of her time with Jerry and Nancy and look how wonderful she turned out!
    Hang in there...maybe we should swap kids for a bit...I'll take Garrett if you take my ALWAYS crying Savanna??
    Love you...if you need to vent, scream, cry...whatever...call me! :)
    Marianne said...
    What a great idea! Sounds like Grandpa Jerry may have a little visitor soon!
    URFAVE 5+A Few said...
    I'm not sure if I can agree with Kami on me but I do know that I love Grandpa Jerry and Grandma Nancy with all my heart. They are two of the most tender hearted kind people. I think Grandpa Jerry would love some one on one time with Garrett. Grandpa Jerry has many times helped out with my kids. He has over the years said things to especially Blake but Conner and Brilynn too that I'm not sure anyone else could have.

    Before reading what everyone else had said the first thought that just came to my mind was a time that I was really struggling with my Conner. He was about 3 or 4 and he was just really being defiant and difficult for me. I had shed many tears over how to handle him and what to do and I had said many prayers about how to handle him. Finally one day when we were having an extra rough time and I was just at my breaking point. Out of know where the most profound words popped into my head and it was..."Just love him!" "Just love Conner for Conner and enjoy who he is." Sounds pretty silly but after I just stepped back for a minute and put my focus on the positivies and not the negatives things got better.

    I wish you lots of luck with Garrett. One thing I know about Garrett is there couldn't be a sweeter boy around than him! He has a heart of gold! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
    We love you all!

    JoLynn
    Anonymous said...
    I agree with Grams and Graps.. maybe a little time -call it camp- for a week or two, maybe that might help.
    URFAVE 5+A Few said...
    O.K. little gal, it's time to update again!!!

    Love ya,

    JoLynn:)

Post a Comment